Solid hair shampoo – the sustainable alternative
Whether for the sake of the environment or to relieve the hair – solid hair shampoos have not just been on the rise today. In terms of ingredients, a solid shampoo is very similar to conventional liquid shampoo. Only the water was removed from the product during production. The basic ingredients are usually a natural surfactant (e.g. based on coconut or sugar), nourishing oils and fats, fragrances and dyes.
Danger: There are also chemical-based solid shampoos that can damage the scalp over time – so always pay attention to the ingredients!
Also interesting: The importance of the ingredients in a shampoo >>
Ingredients – what belongs in the solid shampoo and what not?
Solid hair shampoos often wash with natural or synthetic foam-forming surfactants and usually have a slightly acidic pH value. They are therefore well suited for the skin, as there a pH value of 5.5 prevails. hair soaps on the other hand, are made from oils or fats that are boiled with lye. They often have an alkaline pH value.
What belongs/may go in the shampoo bar?
- Coconut or sugar surfactants (Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate or Coco Glucoside)
- Oils such as avocado, almond or jojoba oil
- shea or cocoa butter
- Fruity additives such as lemon, orange or grapefruit
- Herbal supplements such as nettle, cedarwood, peppermint
What does not belong in the shampoo bar?
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)
- synthetic polymers
- PEG/PEG derivative
- Perfume Lilial
- artificial scents like musk
How to use shampoo bar
Lather the shampoo bar between wet hands or rub directly over wet hair. The resulting foam can now be massaged into the scalp and hair just like with liquid hair shampoo. Rinse thoroughly afterwards!
After use, YOU should keep the shampoo bar dry and, if possible, even out of the shower to prevent it from becoming liquid. You can also store it in a loofah or hung in a small sisal bag.
Pros and cons of solid shampoos
- Solid shampoo is the ideal travel companion – after all, you no longer have to worry about liquid restrictions
- Less packaging waste and less to no plastic
- Easy to use
- Long service life because less shampoo is needed when washing
- Even products without a natural cosmetics seal do not contain questionable materials and substances
- also suitable for dry and sensitive scalps
- Solid shampoos foam like liquid shampoos
- Less natural ingredients than you might think
- Chemical-based products can damage the scalp
Also interesting: make your own organic shampoo >>
Solid shampoo: These are our favorites
1. Foamie Solid Shampoo: The 100% vegan, plastic and silicone-free solid shampoo for dry hair provides plenty of moisture and a healthy scalp. About 5 euros.
2. Greendor Shampoo Bar: An environmentally friendly, solid shampoo for daily hair washing. The shampoo is made with natural ingredients such as organic shea butter, organic coconut oil, organic broccoli seed oil, organic cocoa butter and aloe vera. Approx. 9 euros.
3. Solid shampoo from Klar: Plastic-free and environmentally friendly from the product to the packaging. It is particularly durable and free from any animal component. Approx. 12 euros.